Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Animals aren't kids!

I have always thought everyone needs a kid even if its for a month or so, to help put things in perspective.  I know people that say they have kids,  referring to their animals..."Yes we have 5 kids; 3 of them are dogs and 2 horses".  Even when I didn't have kids I knew for a fact that my animals were no where near being kin to a child.  For instance I don't think its good sense to put your kid in a kennel, people have tried that before and it never ended well for them or the child.  Also I would never put a leash on my kid, scratch that, I might put a leash on my kid but it would be cute, like in the shape of a monkey or something. Plus my kids don't even like my cooking half the time so obviously they wouldn't go for a bowl of kibble. When I hear people talk about their animals being "their kids" I so badly want to ask them "really...how is the birthing process for a dog or kitten coming out of the vagina, as opposed to a 9 lb. baby?".  No but in all seriousness I really do think some should have the experience of parenthood even if they aren't planning on having kids of their own.  I never realized how much motherhood could change a person until I looked deep into the white shiny toilet that surrounded my sweaty face as I hurled my guts up with "morning sickness".  I certainty wasn't prepared for the pain of labor.  Or being up so much at night with the baby, that should only happen to owls or raccoons.  All the pain and all the sleepless nights cannot compare to the shift of focus that occurs when you hold your first born.  Suddenly it's not about you.  Now its about giving up your own life to do anything for this creature, to be anything for this creature. Its an amazing relationship that compares to no other.  I remember about a month after Owen was born, I called my Mom and told her sorry for any grief I caused her.  I told her that mothers deserve a gold plaque held up for all the world to see.  I'm not tooting my own horn, being that I am a mother myself. Because as most moms are aware of, none of us actually believe we are great moms to begin with.   Whether you think of yourself as great or not, you know what it takes to be a parent and that it cannot be compared to anything else.  So I salute all you moms and dads out there, young and old.  P.S. if your are reading this and you would like to borrow my children for a month or two, my fees are low and I am quite certain you wont be calling your pets children after your experience.

2 comments:

  1. I love you Kara, and you are a wonderful mom! *shiny gold plaque* ;) - kacey

    ReplyDelete